Sunday, April 25, 2010

The End

What: This week’s topic of choice is tool of choice, but I really want to go over all the different technologies the class has cover over this semester. I will highlight how they have changed my attitude toward the Internet and its uses in the classroom.
Now What: The first one was Google Docs. It is a free, online word processing program. Though the program has potential it is far from perfect. The program is very difficult to use. I did like that you could collaborate with others in a team by inviting them to your documents. However, inserting pictures was complex and frustrating. I realize this product may come in handy as I move forward with my education, but I hope Google will fix some of the problems in an update.
Another tech opportunity for teachers is the Utah Education Network’s website. It’s a little complicated at first, but once I got the hang of the public and private sides of the site I really enjoy using the site. The site also helped keep all of my work organized. I can see how a website could help a teacher make lesson plan and find interactive. I got an opportunity to see how a real educator use the UEN website when my eight year old brought home an UEN URL that said her teacher had a site. We went on it together and she was about to play fun, educational games. I think this website is very useful for teachers and students alike.
So What: All of the different technologies I learned about have brought a new understand of the ever changing and shrinking world around me. As a person who does not like change this can sometime be difficult for me. Just when I get use to one program a new one come along and I need to learn that one. I need to get out of my comfort zone and embrace the new and understand that my student will be leaps and bond a head of me.
Video:I have to start by saying "I love School House Rock" Being a child of the Eighties I remember I Just a Bill and Conjunction Junction from my Saturday morning cartoons. I learned the Preamble to the Constitution from those cute little guys and so did my son. These cartoons have spanned the decades and now kids are watching them on DVD and YouTube. We need more playful and fun educational videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment